About Our Historic Homes
The Royce House
The Nehemiah Royce House is the oldest house in the Town of Wallingford. Construction for this New England saltbox was begun in 1672, just two years after our town was founded. In 1995, the house was gifted from Choate Rosemary Hall to the Trust
An extensive restoration of the outside of the house has been completed. The restoration of this wonderful property was possible due to the generous donation by Charles (Chuck) Royce, along with other generous donors.
Our grand opening and tours will begin in conjunction with Wallingford 350-- more information to follow
Below is a picture of Helen Royce who saved the Royce house from demolition in 1924.
Learn more about Wallingford by viewing our 350 Moments Plus presentations and other links on our Resources Tab (above)!
The American Silver Museum / Johnson Mansion
This stately Italianate Victorian Mansion has been restored back to its original grandeur. It was donated to the Trust from the Ortense Family in 1997. The house was originally built and occupied by Franklin Johnson in 1866. The unusual features of this structure including its outhouse are somewhat a marvel of its time.
The Johnson Mansion is not just another historic home. It also houses the American Silver Museum. You will be able to learn about how important the silver industry was to Wallingford and neighboring towns, plus see an extensive collection of silver from Wallingford and Meriden.
Below is Franklin Johnson and his third wife, Harriet.